Artist? Producer? Fashion Icon? Sure, many know Pharrell Williams for his hit music, quirky style, or even for his role as a judge on the hit television show “The Voice,” but his talents reach far beyond the music and fashion industry. What you may not know about Pharrell is that he has an inspiring life philosophy and strong commitment to diversity.
For example, Pharrell describes his company “i am OTHER”, as a “cultural movement dedicated to Thinkers, Innovators and Outcasts”. It’s founded on his belief that we should be celebrating our differences rather than downplaying them. Thero’s mission and the i am OTHER manifesto have many parallels. Pharrell and his organization state, “OTHERS believe individuality is the new wealth” and that “OTHERS don’t fit into categories.” Likewise, Thero believes in the value of mental diversity and advocates for reducing stigma and stereotyping. If he weren’t so busy living what New York Times called “The Year of Pharrell” we would invite him to be part of the staff here at Thero.
In fact, Pharrell gives such poignant advice that we decided to list some of his more memorable quotes that we think show his aptitude for a different career entirely: therapy. Pharrell’s statements can be viewed below in relation to the various treatment models, therapy concepts, and terms they align with:
- Never give up on the things that can make you smile. (Resilience – Positive Psychology)
- As individuals, our biggest responsibility is to be self-aware. (Insight – Psychodynamic Therapy).
- OTHERS defy expectations and stereotypes. We are curious, ambitious, energetic and have every intention of squeezing the most out of life. (Personal Narrative – Narrative Therapy)
- Failure hurts pretty bad, but failure is actually just a lesson. (Reframe – Cognitive Behavioral Therapy)
- We have to be open. (Acceptance – Acceptance and Commitment Therapy)
- I think we’re all dealt these cards in life, but the cards in and of themselves don’t read one way or the other. It’s up to you to hone in and cultivate whatever you’ve got in your hand. (Self-Actualization – Humanistic)
- Celebrate your difference. What makes you different is what makes you special. (Affirmation – Cognitive Behavioral Therapy)
- Happiness is a human right. It’s neither a luxury nor a triviality. It’s given at birth, but you must recognize its existence. (Dignity and worth of the person – Social Work Core Value)
- Wealth is of the heart and mind, not the pocket. (Values statement – Acceptance and Commitment Therapy)
- When you think you’ve failed it’s the ego in your mind that tells you it’s so bad, everyone’s looking at you… none of it is true. (Automatic thoughts- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy)
Check out this post on mental diversity to learn more about the differences between people’s minds. Any inspirational Pharrell quotes we missed? Let us know by leaving a comment below.